As a child I hated mushrooms. Like loathed them. What was with this fungi that was spongy, and woody? As an adult, I can’t find enough recipes to make with mushrooms! Luckily my family enjoys mushrooms like I do, and that makes me a happy camper. During the week, I just don’t have the time for elaborate meals so this meal is served up in under 30 minutes and as a crowd pleaser. It’s time to leverage prepackaged pasta to your advantage.
Easy Mushroom Tortellini
- 1 bag cheese tortellini
- 3 tbsp butter divided
- 1 box 8 ounce, cremini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan (or more)
- Start your water to boil according to package instructions for tortellini
- Once your water starts to bubble, let's start a large pan with oil and 1 tbsp of butter
- When water boils, toss in pasta and cook according to instructions
- Stir in mushrooms and add another pat of butter
- After 5 min of sauteeing, let's add garlic and stir it up
- Go look at your pasta and make sure it's done.
- Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, and drain pasta
- In your mushroom pan, stir in one more pat of butter, add in drained pasta
- Add in parmesan and stir. Pour in half of your pasta water to help separate the parmesan so it doesn't just clump together. Add in more pasta water as needed. Melt parmesan through and toss in salt/pepper to your taste.
- Serve and enjoy immediately!
- Want brown butter- sage pasta, brown that butter and throw in sage to start. Allow the sage to crisp up and be very aromatic before throwing in mushrooms.
- Want more cheese, go cheesy! I top mine with parmesan before eating.
- Not sure if you love crispy sage, go ahead and just add dry sage at the end!
- Want more seasoning? Throw in extra garlic!